Wednesday, February 13, 2008

tales from the lunchroom

let me just say I still find cafeterias somewhat novel. I started catholic school in the 5th grade and our school did not have any sort of lunch room it was strictly brown bag/lunchboxes and we ate at our desk. My last year or so there they were big into having hotdog day once a month and we would get herded down to the kitchen by class and could purchase hotdogs-always big doings as mom would let us bring soda to drink those days, her method of keeping it "cold" was to wrap the can in a paper towel and cover it with foil but I digress.
In kindergarden C seemed into buying lunch at first but for the most part stuck with bringing a lunch from home. In first grade it was the opposite he brought lunch and shifted to buying everyday of course we had a spell where I had to pack a lunch he would get to school change his mind, buy lunch and bring what I packed home. At least he gave me the food back my brother at a young age went through a hide your sandwich under your bed phase-maybe he was just growing penicillin who knows?!
This year C started out buying but has shifted back to bringing from home. Now in part it might be because his best friend always brings food from home and also C did not like having to wait in the long lines to get his food but mostly I think the shift had to with C not getting enough to eat. It is like packing a meal for a longshoreman or something. I amazed he has enough time to eat all the food he brings. If he is eating this much now I seriously wonder what in the hell is going to happen when puberty hits? D & I will have to get 2nd & 3rd jobs to feed this kid!

No comments: