Sunday, December 2, 2007

more funeral talk

the grandfather of a friend passed away last week so I went to the wake yesterday evening. Are they not called wakes anymore? family receiving friends, visitation hours-is wake just a catholic thing or a northern thing or a catholic northern thing? No idea but I went anyway he was in his nineties poor health so it was one of those "it was a blessing" "it was quick at the end" **
sort of wakes however they still just creep me out a little ok a lot. My parents have always had a large network of friends, acquaintances, co-workers etc so it seemed like my brother & I were dragged to a whole lotta wakes as kids. Quite frankly an inordinate amount of wakes if you ask me and I always hate them they are like cocktail parties without the cocktails and oh yeah a DEAD body up front yuck, when I go I want cocktails to actually be served.
**note to my brother I did manage to work it in :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did have a wake for EB after the funeral home pig stickin'... lots of beer, lots of tears, lots of stories. I even spent the entire day before it smoking a pork butt on the grill, using his recipe one last time. I think it was marinated in tears of sorrow, but damn it was good! I felt it was entirely appropriate given who he was and how we lived. He would have approved. Feel ya on the "I hate funerals" thing... it's a Mommanem thing... guess I'll do it when I get old, but not now. I still have an excuse for now.

Randall said...

I second the motion for cocktails at wakes. I want a band, too.