Thursday, November 15, 2007

funerals

so I suppose funerals must have been on my mind yesterday because my great-aunt passed away several days ago & her funeral was in fact yesterday. Mom called to let me know last night not sure why she waited but sometimes my mom can be strange about things. It's not like I was super close to the woman in fact she was not my great-aunt she was my grandmother's cousin but they were basically raised as sisters as her mother died in childbirth. My great grandfather died when my grandmother was 2 so they had the loss of parent at young age bonding thing going on as well.
Any whoodles my great aunt was a nun who lived for a number of years in Hawaii. Mama would visit her once a year and I was promised a trip when I was 13 but of course she was living in NY by that time so all we got were afternoons in Ossining. They were interesting afternoons, we usually would ask to hear about the morning of pearl harbor as she had been on the big island that morning. The Maryknoll nuns are missionaries so the gift shop always had all sorts of neat things from around the world and the sitting room had interesting displays specifically I remember a thing about chinese women and feet binding and some teeny tiny shoes in a display case.
hard to believe all of that generation in our family tree has died off.

No comments: