Wednesday, December 30, 2009

racial identity

with as pale as I am the fact that C is a light skinned as he his was a shock to no one. I'll go so far as to say he is passin' well maybe not in the summer time when he tends to mocha up a bit but I digress. As a toddler he was confused by the 1/2 black 1/2 white thing he tended to view it in zebra terms "this half is the white half etc..etc" As he is growing up he is identifying more with his black half. Last year okay it was the elections and at school "the black kids were all voting for Obama and I am one of the black kids" of course I pointed out more importantly in that particular case we were democrats but again I digress. His video game avatar is always clearly black and no not African American my husband's family has never been to flippin Africa and yes I now how not PC of me well too bad. What I found amusing yesterday was the discussion of an older video game he played that had Derek Jeter and "did you know in the game he was BLACK" what the hell was up with that was the gist of that conversation so I pointed out that well Mr Jeter was indeed black just like you my dear boy.

No comments: