Saturday, January 17, 2009

so it's cold here

not as cold as Chicago but cold. Cold for K-town in particular. It use to get cold here, it even use to snow here like real snow, sledding, snowball fights, snowmen. I fact my first winter here there was a blizzard that left us without power for a week. Of course losing power in a snow storm almost had me moving back north where I had never experienced that but I survived and it stopped snowing here, global warming and all that I suppose. MIL called me several times on Thursday to make sure I was properly outfitting her grandson. And while her concern is sweet and touching she loves her grandson um hello?! I grew up in CT and I am familiar with hats, gloves and winter coats we even did boots. Ahh winter boots...I had a pretty red case to carry my shoes to and from school in. Maybe it was pink? I don't remember it has been a few years.
The innerweb parents seemed to generate a flurry of activity proclaiming they should close school because it was too cold. Many surrounding school systems did just that Knox county did not-more on that in a minute. One of the reasons behind the cancellations-some kids don't have winter coats. Strange while you may not need them the entire winter it does get cold enough to warrant owning one including a hat & gloves while we're at it. There are many many consignment shops around town plus one of the charities does a giant coat thing each year so having a coat is not out of the realm of possibilities, in my opinion anyway. Of course C could not find any of his nine bazillion hats so I made him wear a hoodie to school for the head covering and the added bonus of layering see MIL I can manage! Back to the school cancellations Knox did not cancel but kids could stay home and have an excused absence. C went to school. Come on really cold? It's not like they have recess outside in this weather(although we did at St Greg's back in the day). Amusingly the Stupidintendent was surprised at the high absence rates. He needs to crawl out from whatever rock he is under and quit listening to the local folks that are "advising" him. The children learning should be your number one priority sir. Of Course the all of the high schools had low attendance rates didn't need to be a brain surgeon to suss that one out. Sadly the other numbers did not shock or surprise me it broke down as I would have guessed which is why we based the purchase of our house primarily upon school zone

4 comments:

JMS said...

You grew up in CT? I grew up in CT! We may have discussed this - but I've slept since then. (LOL!) Where did you come from?

I was born in Hartford and raised in West Hartford, then moved to Mystic when I was 18.

overtly trite said...

sure did! we moved to Danbury from Long Island when I was in first grade.

Chris Curtin said...

We had recess out in the snow at St. Joseph's. I remember football, snowball fights and the girls freezing their asses off in their Catholic school girl skirts too.

We had school this week, but last year they canceled because of the 'no coats' BS as well.

overtly trite said...

St Gregs had recess outside as well and we all froze in those damn skirts. We were allowed to wear blue pants for a 3 month interval of course NO ONE did except the tomboy and she was probably the warmest one out there