Monday, February 25, 2008

baseball season is fast upon us


and "tryouts" were Saturday morning. I say "tryouts" yes with the annoying air quotes because we've paid our fees, the check has been cashed the boy will play baseball, they were really evaluations which I must say it seemed a little sublime at this level of baseball. C is playing machine pitch again, it is one league up from playing with dirt and picking flowers in the outfield but they have "evaluations". Around 20 maybe 30 coaches sat at long tables while each boy ran the length of the gym, hit a few balls then fielded a bit. I guess we get a call later this week to find out which team C was picked for. I am hoping it will be the same group of coaches he played for this past fall they were a good group of guys that let the boys still have fun hell they're only 7-8 not quite ready for the UT scouts just yet...
There was one coach last fall in this league who was a little too gung-ho for my tastes, way too aggressive for the age group he would storm about the field with his blue tooth firmly soldered to his head yelling out alligator each inning we still don't know what it meant. Our coach's wife & I were going to make something up to yell out to our kids when they were in the outfield I believe we came up with watermelon.
I am really hoping this is not our coach....

3 comments:

Bro. Byron said...

My son played when he was 6,7,8 and then all of a sudden said he was bored with it and quit. He was really good too. I miss him playing but I don't miss all of those trips to the ballpark and all of the loud obnoxious parents! Good luck to your son this season!

overtly trite said...

I am not sure how much longer we have to go C went back & forth about playing this spring, he got hit on the hand with a ball the 2nd to last game which I think is a factor.
We'll see how the spring goes I told him he does not have to play fall ball if he doesn't want to. I hope he keeps playing as I really like baseball!

Appalachian Feminist Breeder said...

I just don't get parents and coaches who are so emotionally invested in the outcome of kid's game that they make asses of themselves. The way that I look at it is that sports are fun, exercise, and character-building. Not about grown-ups releasing their pent-up aggressions.