Monday, December 10, 2007

real or fake?


Growing up we always had 2 trees a live one upstairs and a fake one downstairs(fireplace is downstairs). In retrospect it is so freaking weird that we would have TWO trees-my mom has always loathed christmas she did not have the best of kidhoods and christmas was not a particularly special day, my father on the other hand all about christmas and the holiday season!
Decoration day was always a big deal hell we had 2 trees to decorate and family tradition actually my mother's tradition was each year each member of the family would get a new ornament to put on the tree. A fantastic tradition that I have forced on my family. On the first xmas after we each got married my brother & I got boxes of ornaments a mix some that were our own and some of each family members. It is a very special feeling to put up ornaments with such history. Anyway as we got older they switched to all fake as my mother would get a horrible rash from the live trees. They were really large nice fake trees but fake & I always swore that when I had my own tree it would be real. The first few years together D & I had real trees 2 holidays in a row the needles from the tree killed our vacuum cleaners and then one year we headed to my parent's for the holiday so we made the switch to a fake tree and have not turned back. However looking at our sad little outdated fake tree I am thinking we need a live tree next year, I'll just ask Santa for a vacuum

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Real or nothing... that's my feeling. Probably because my Mom had a fake tree back in the 70s that looked as if it might have been made out of Fuller Brush toilet bowl brushes dyed green. Traumatized me for life, so now it just has to be real. Needles all over the floor and all.