Thursday, January 8, 2009

let me know how that works out for you

Several year ago we took in our niece so she could remain in K-town for her senior year of high school. It was a difficult year at best fraught with lots of complaints about how strict we were. One of my favorite moments was an argument over curfew of all things and I will never forget her telling me that she couldn't wait till she was my age and could do what she wanted to when she wanted to. I laughed in her face, couldn't help it! I am still wondering when exactly it is I can do whatever I want when I want. She is grown, married with a newborn of her own and coming into the harsh realization that sometimes being a grown-up sucks. None of her problems are serious just your typical everyday variety you know the ones that mean you don't always get things your way but from this vantage point very amusing.

5 comments:

Lola said...

HA! Those youngins are so funny sometimes.

JMS said...

So true! I've often wondered when I get to "play" now that I'm an adult. It's interesting how, when you're young you can't wait to be grown up, but when you're an adult, you wish you could be young again!

Hope you are well today!

TTFN
JMS

Anonymous said...

I never get to do what I want... and that was the only reward of becoming an adult. Pretty much, except for legal drinking, being a grownup is seriously of the suck. Can't wait until I get to watch and laugh at those moments too!

Anonymous said...

I wish I needed a curfew, I never go out. I think there were a few years there of being an adult without responbilities, I'm thinking it was when I was in college (paid for by my parents) and was majoring in English because I wanted to write. Yeah. And then 9 to 5 beckoned. But heck, it was far better than being in high school.

overtly trite said...

yes good old college the illusion that you are an adult and independent except parents are still bankrolling your life