Sunday, December 14, 2008

now it's beginning to look like Christmas

while my tree was up the day after Thanksgiving it sat undecorated until yesterday afternoon-hey give me a break I am a busy woman. I bought a new tree this year a pre-lit one to save me time except at home & out of the box it is a crappy tree so crappy I thought about using our very old tree & spending an hour detangling lights but we carried on & just used the not very heavy ornaments. I will be hitting the post-Christmas sales in search of a decent fake tree. For me one of the things that makes the holiday so very special is the ornaments. Growing up each year each member of the family got a new ornament then when I married I got several boxes full of a various assortment of my ornaments as well as other family stuff. Our first Christmas I dragged the Grinch David out to pick out his very own ornament for that year and after that I just started picking something for him, once C got to the point of choosing his own I have him pick something out to give David as a gift each year. It gives me great joy to look at our tree and see the bejeweled fan that was picked out for me when I was just a toddler (maybe an infant I just know it is near ancient) next to the snowman C made in daycare when he was only 3. It makes me feel happy and closer to my family and at the the same time a little sad that I won't be able to see them for the holidays this year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All of us put our Saturdays to good use I see. Bob said yesterday as we were decorating our tree that ornaments are more than plastic and glass and metal... they are stories of times passed. Amazing Christmas wisdom from our token Jew, eh?