Friday, May 18, 2007

notes from the road

ok so we aren't on the road anymore, in fact we've been home 4 days now I am a little slow to catch up!
-you can get to Jacksonville in 8 1/2 hours-google said so and I was to the only one to believe.
Granted D drove well like he does but 8 1/2 hours it was
-the kid awake & talking the entire trip down until the last 1/2 hour-figures, some sort of karmic punishment for road trips when we were kids? what state are we in now mommy? and now? and now? thank god for portable dvd players & nintendo ds
-kids don't really play car games anymore now that they have portable dvds & hand held game systems.Honestly I find license plates games are just annoying now that each state has about 30 different plates
-don't name your restaurant the Squat & Gobble II-who goes to eat there?
-It makes sense that the Naval Base would be right on the ocean but I must admit I was surprised that the view from our hotel was the ocean which was just yards away
-fun to watch the surfers each day. I am just not that strong a swimmer or in fact the least bit co-ordinated to try it
-don't leave the new batch of coffee you bought just for the trip in the room when you go! I was looking for it Tuesday a.m. but it's still in Florida, with the ice cream we found in the freezer.
-take a group of kids on a ship their favorite part captain's chair? helicopter pad? brig? no the slushie machine in the chief's mess
-my two youngest neices are smart as tacks, adorable and funny and we don't see them often enough.
-taking two days off of work can be a huge pain it will take me forever to catch up!
-Family is worth it and we don't see them often enough either. This was my mother's first mother's day with everyone-kids, spouses & grandkids

2 comments:

rexpete said...

Ok, Im just catching up on old posts but I gotta say I love the "Squat and Gobble" actually laughed out loud.

overtly trite said...

and it's II. I guess was was so sucessful they needed a second