Thursday, September 13, 2007

no child left behind?

I know this is a knox county school thing but I am guessing it is tied to the no child left behind crap. spelling last year: we would get a list on monday the kids would have a spelling test on friday, great straight forward we would work on these words each night as "homework". This year they have decided this is not the best way to learn or test spelling, students should learn in context? So we have no specific list to work with, they do send home a list of sentences that have key words to learn for the week-maybe one or two will be on the spelling test which consists of inane sentences-
When we hike we will mix a cake.
really?
My pet has a fine fin.
so?
and these 2 were just last week's there are many many more! They may technically be correct grammar but they sound stupid.
Plus the grade is not just for spelling it includes grammar & handwriting. Handwriting???!
Poor C keeps getting an S on handwriting because he is not using the correct denealian method, I have a hard time counseling & correcting him on this one I cannot recall the last time I put so many damn curly loops on my letters...

2 comments:

Randall said...

My handwriting, never great shakes to begin with, has only suffered with the move to typing everything (e-mail, etc.).

Somehow, make grammatically correct nonsense sentences actually seems like a good idea to me. Maybe it offers a focus on the grammar instead of what the intent of the sentence is.

overtly trite said...

AHA now that you mention it the grammer aspect does make sense because the test does have 3 grades spelling, grammer & handwriting...